Don’t worry. You can be a vegan and still eat amazing chocolate cake. I’m doing it right now.
Pops turned 60 this month and I got to make the cake for his surprise party…full of non-vegans. In this scenario there is a whole lot of pressure to prove that vegan cake is just as good as non-vegan cake. Let’s just say I got a lot of positive feedback and in the words of my foodie sister @KitchenCanvasRD, the cake was “decadent.”
So how did this cake come together? With a lot of trial and error! The result: amazing cake.
I pulled together 3 different recipes to make this cake. I hope you like it!
For the cake portion and the glaze I used these recipes from Instructables.com. Here’s my recommendations for the recipe:
1. Bake the cake at 340 degrees for 30 minutes. I made the cake two different times and it was more moist when I took it out while it was still a little gooey on the toothpick.
2. I used my round cake pans and stacked up each cake to make a 3 level cake instead of leaving the cake in the pan. This means that I tripled the cake recipe.
3. To get the cakes out of the pan easily, grease your cake pan, then cut out a circle of wax paper for the bottom of the pan before you put in the batter. After you flip your cake out onto the cooling rack, remove the paper.
For the filling I used the frosting recipe from VegWeb and sprinkled vegan chocolate chips in between the layers. Yum. For the vegan milk in this recipe I used coconut. Any kind would work though.
So I initially wanted to just make the glaze from the Instructables website. However, it’s a glaze, not a frosting. I did make the glaze and poured it over the cake before I frosted it with chocolate frosting. I think it added a lot of moisture and goodness. It’s totally optional, but I think it is worth the 10 minutes it takes to make. Plus, you can steal a spoonful and then it’s totally worth it. Am I right?
The frosting I ended up using over my glaze is actually a variation from the Crisco recipe here. The ingredients I used are:
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of the chocolate glaze in the Instructables recipe (add a spoonful at a time until the desired taste)
1. Put the chocolate chips in the microwave until softened, stirring every 30 seconds (total time is about 1 min and a half)
2. Combine all other ingredients with the chocolate chips and mix until smooth.
I seriously thought about the leftover piece of cake I had in my fridge multiple times at work today… and while I was running at the gym. Counterproductive? Yes.
To top it all off I grated some dark chocolate on top. This cake takes a while due to having to make 3 different frostings, but I think it was worth it.
I hope you try it and wow yourself with vegan cake!
Until next time,